Thursday, December 7, 2017

His GF vs Your GF (PUI AH)

I just watched one of the stupidest videos I've ever watched in the longest time. It appeared on my Facebook page (one of the worst places to find videos, another reason why I hardly use FB anymore since YouTube actually gives me what I want based on my subscriptions and not what my friends post) and I was consumed with such anger that I felt compelled to write this post.

First of all, the video was published by a Singaporean YouTube channel months ago. I have unsubscribed to that channel long ago (thank goodness) and after watching it, I feel ashamed to call myself Singaporean. For those who are unfamiliar with the video in question, the video is titled "His Girlfriend vs Your Girlfriend" which is already ridiculous. Why are people comparing girlfriends in the first place? In the video, "His Girlfriend" seems to be "perfect" while "Your Girlfriend" seems like she's not the type of girl you should date. That's the general idea that they're going for.

While the video could have actually been funny, I found myself growing angrier by the minute. Instead of depicting relationships in a funny manner, they were showing impressionable viewers toxic relationships. They were also giving people unrealistic standards of relationships. I know that students watch Singaporean YouTube channels and even admire some of these YouTube celebrities, so this adds on to my annoyance as well. You could be thinking, "Eh! You're reading into it too much lah! It's just a video what!" But whatever. I'm entitled to my own opinion and feelings.

In the silly video, "Your GF" was trying to peer over the shoulder of her boyfriend to see if he's texting a hot girl. He was trying to tilt the phone away from his girlfriend which makes her even more insecure. If you're in a stable relationship, what's there to hide? How can this be considered an "undesirable" trait of a girlfriend when it's clearly the guy who is behaving in a suspicious manner? A few scenes later, "Your GF" surprises her boyfriend at his house and checks his bedroom. Obviously, she was opening the cupboards and lifting up the blankets to see if he was hiding another girlfriend somewhere. This, dear viewers, is how you can drive your girlfriend up the wall and make her become an insecure bitch. 

Apparently, females should not be allowed to have an opinion. When the "ideal" girl (aka "His GF") apologises, all she says is "I'm sorry". When "Your GF" apologises, on the other hand, she fiercely makes her point after the apology. No shit. That's what people do when they disagree. How is the behaviour of "Your GF" not ideal? Do you want a girlfriend who has an empty brain and no opinions of her own at all? This is emphasised in the very next scene when the "ideal" girl just tells her boyfriend that she doesn't want to talk to him anymore and gives him the cold shoulder when they are having a fight, while the "crazy" girlfriend actually shouts at her boyfriend and throws cushions at him. Honestly, the "ideal" girl doesn't even seem to care! Would you rather have a mute girlfriend or someone who tells you exactly why they're feeling frustrated? 

The video also reinforces gender stereotypes. Apparently, "ideal" girls are supposed to be weaker than their male counterparts. They should run slowly and they should refrain from drinking alcohol. Erm, excuse me? Are we living in the 21st century or are we not? We should be also concerned for "His GF", who is trying too hard to be perfect for her guy that she is coming across as fake. Perhaps she's even scared of her boyfriend, or perhaps her boyfriend is so controlling and such a male chauvinist pig that he expects her to behave like an angel. For instance, who actually risks being late for work just to get breakfast for her boyfriend? Unless he's really ill, which does not seem to be the case in the video, that's just ridiculous. Your life does not revolve around your man. If you are being manipulated to behave in this way then get out your toxic relationship asap.

In short, if the people who made this video think that "ideal" girls should have no personality at all, they have done well. It's simply disgusting to see that such a shitty video has 1.6m views. Thanks Facebook friends, but I'll stick to YouTube videos by comedians who are actually funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment