Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Avengers: Virus Vanguard


I was busy working from home today when the Virus Vanguard made its debut - as well as their disappearance.

However, a quick Google search and I found some pictures of these new superhero group on Mothership, CNA, and TODAY. I thought they looked like characters I already know, so I've decided to share my observations here.


1. Mini Moh and Circuit Breaker... Or should I say Peni Parker and SP//dr?


(images from mothership.sg and wikipedia.com)

Mini Moh and Peni Parker. The clever use of alliteration. Both robots are piloted by highly intelligent young girls. What's more to say?

If you haven't watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, then I don't know what you're waiting for. This is probably the best time for you to catch up and watch it on Netflix.

And of course, Mini Moh's robot kinda looks like one of those Transformers but I don't think those movies were any good, were they? My brain feels like rotting whenever one of those movies come on. 


2. Fake News Buster... Or Kuurth possessing the Juggernaut? Or is it a combination of Thor and Iron Man = Iron Hammer? 

(images from mothership.sg and marvel.fandom.com)

I've never read the comic books so I don't know much about these guys, but... Fake News Buster is supposed to be holding the Mallet of Truth. And Kuurth is holding, well, the Hammer of Kuurth. They sound similar enough to me!

The characters also look like circuit boards, get it? You know, because circuit breaker? Funny right? Haha no ah? Okay, sorry.


3. MAWA Man or Cyclops? 

(images from mothership.sg and marvel.fandom.com)

I think this was the most obvious one. I mean, which other superhero has special eye-wear like that? Even their poses are similar.

This is probably the funniest name because in times of crisis, just saying "Help me, MAWA Man!" sounds hilarious. I don't know why. Just try it. 

I'm not a Liverpool fan or anything, but I don't think it's good to make fun of Liverpool's motto especially since it is also a song that provides people with comfort in times of crisis (i.e. now, and not to mention the tragedy known as the Hillsborough disaster of 1989).


4. Dr Disinfector? More like Dr Octopus

 (images from mothership.sg and wikipedia.com)

Once I saw the image, I thought of Dr Octopus from Spiderman. My generation grew up watching Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies, so this didn't need any stretch of my imagination.

But I mean, as y'all know, Dr Octopus is a villain, so why is this hero modelled after him? And is she a token minority in the group? 


5. STORM! Erm, I mean, Care-leh Dee?

(images from mothership.sg and comicvine.gamespot.com)


I love Storm! When I was a kid, I wished that I could control the weather. Storm is cool, which means by extension, this new character could be as well. But I'm sorry... the name Care-leh Dee is just cringe.


Some people were pretty angry and upset about the superhero campaign to combat the coronavirus, but honestly, I just looked at the superheroes and simply wished that I could draw awesome fan art like that. And get paid, too! But I reckon some artists would rather... starve than take up the job. (Starving artist joke. Come on, you must have seen it coming)

Okay, all jokes aside, please stay at home and stop spreading fake news. If not, more cringeworthy MCU-inspired superheroes will be created to annoy us. Maybe try DC next time? These are dark times after all.

"This Is The Fight Of Our Lives. We Are Going To Win. Whatever It Takes." - Steve Rogers aka Captain America, Avengers Endgame (2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment